Now Enrolling! Be a part of the first circle of very young farmers at the Urban Eden Farm School in Spokane!
Registration for the 2018-2019 school year is now open. For questions or to schedule a tour, please contact Maya West at email@example.com.
The state-wide organization, Greenplay Northwest, has partnered with Urban Eden Farm to provide a unique learning experience for children ages 3-6. Urban Eden sits on 40 acres above Latah Creek in the Vinegar Flats neighborhood, only 5 minutes from downtown Spokane. Their mission is to grow sustainable, tasty, and beautiful food that is truly local and provide produce for local restaurants, farmers markets, and CSA customers. It is a lovely quiet setting that includes wild spots for exploring native flora and fauna as well as the large cultivated vegetable beds, running stream, goats, chickens, and more.
The farm school was developed out of the forest kindergarten model, where free play outdoors forms the basis for children’s learning experiences and makes up the largest part of their day. There are limited options for play and nature based early learning in Spokane and Greenplay seeks to be a part of changing that by helping children develop a deeper awareness of the growing seasons and their food sources.
Children who attend the program experience:
– Small, inclusive circles with a 1:5 teacher to child ratio
– An approach to education that honors the whole child
– Loving guidance and support from the teachers
– An awareness and appreciation for the natural world
– The creation of a childhood landscape that is rich and memorable
– Freedom to create and direct their own learning and interests
– Ample time for play in a safe and loving environment
– A sense of belonging and community